On Sunday 06 August 2006 22:09, Anthony Agelastos wrote:
> In doing some poking around on my server, I noticed that I am using
> 926 MB in my /var folder (the partition is at 75% capacity). So, I
> dug a little deeper and a huge majority of this is in the /var/crash
> folder; I have two vmcore files (vmcore.0 and vmcore.1) that are each
> ~402MB and were created back in February. Are these safe for
> deletion?

Yes, these are useful only for debugging purposes. They are saved there
by the savecore utility which reads the dump from your dump(swap) device.
Read savecore manual or the relevant section from developers' handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

Nikos