sorry, forgot to reply to all:

the first one is for bash, sh and others of the same family, the
second is for csh and others.

You can do the same thing for ftp:

export FTP_PROXY=http://user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:3128 # for bash, sh

setenv FTP_PROXY http://user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:3128  # For csh, ...

On 8/18/06, Joao Barros <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 8/18/06, Viswas Nair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am trying to setup a FBSD 6.1 machine at work. I have an IP addressed by a
> DHCP server. However, to connect to the internet I need to use a proxy. How
> do I configure the system to connect via the proxy?
>
> I cannot use a browser in to do the same because I am presently trying to
> install the window manager and other applications via ports.

Set this in your shell:
export HTTP_PROXY=http://user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:3128

or

setenv HTTP_PROXY http://user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:3128