Hi,

I am trying to transfer all files in /var/mail from one Freebsd 5.3 machine (oldfreebsd.com) to another (newfreebsd.com). I decided to use rsync for this since it would preserve ownership, permissions, etc. I made sure rsync was installed on both machines. Neither machine had an /etc/rsyncd.conf or /etc/rsyncd.motd file. On newfreebsd.com I created /etc/rsyncd.conf thusly:

motd file = /etc/rsyncd.motd
max connections = 1
hosts allow = 208.44.xx.xx

(The IP address is that of oldfreebsd.com)

On newfreebsd.com, I created rsyncd.motd with the words Authorized Users Only in it.

as a test, I'm just trying to rsync /var/mail/lisa from oldfreebsd.com to newfreebsd.com. When that works I'll do all of /var/mail/

on oldfreebsd.com I cd /var/mail, then type: rsync lisa newfreebsd.com:/var/mail/

and get this:

connect to host newfreebsd.com port 22: Connection refused
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(348)

Anyone know what might be wrong? Or can anyone suggest a better way of moving these mail boxes?

Thanks,

Lisa Casey