On 8/18/06, Sean M. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
With GCC 3.4.4, what are the best CFLAGS to use for an AMD Duron ~1000
MHz? By "best" I mean creating the fastest programs that exploit fully
all of the architecture's features, without creating a "noticible"
increase in size. To date I've been using
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -mfp-math=sse -funroll-loops -pipe
-ffast-math"

Here:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.4/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html#i386-and-x86_002d64-Options

IIRC the Duron should be set to athlon or athlon-tbird. The athlon-4,
athlon-xp, athlon-mp knobs should only be used on Athlons with a
Palomino core or better, your Duron is to slow to be based off
Palomino. Also -mfp-math=sse does nothing for you because your chip
doesn't have full SSE support.

If you want to increase performance buy a new parts, $200 bucks will
get you a new Athlon64 AM2 CPU, AM2 socket motherboard, and 512MB of
DDR2-800 ram. Or you could go with new old stock:

AMD Sempron 64 2800+ Socket 754: $54
BIOSTAR TForce6100 Socket 754: $66
CORSAIR ValueSelect 256MB DDR400: $28
Total: $148