On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 12:00:02AM +0100, Andrew Prewett wrote:
> Today Nathan Kinkade wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 02:30:57PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > I have a VERY, VERY old laptop (1.9 Megs of memory IBM), and I was
> > > wondering if I could get FreeBSD 1 for it. If so, where? Thanks!
> > >
> > > lattera
> > >
> > > To Unsubscribe: send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > What type of processor does it have?  1.9MB of RAM is not very much.
> > Even PicoBSD, the single floppy version of FreeBSD, would like to have
> > 8MB of memory.  I have serious doubts that you will be able to get
> > virtually anything to run in 1.9MB of memory.  I could be wrong, and if
> > someone knows of a tiny OS that will run under these conditions I'd be
> > curious to know about it.  I have recently been looking around at some
> > tiny Linux installations, but even those absolutely require at least 4MB
> > of memory.
>
> minix?
>
> from the minix install.txt:
> 1. REQUIREMENTS
>    The minimum system MINIX can be installed on comfortably  is
>    an  IBM PC/AT or PS/2 with a 286 processor, 640 KB memory, a
>    720 kb diskette drive, and 25-30 MB free  space  on  an  AT,
>    ESDI, or SCSI hard disk (the latter controlled by an Adaptec
>    1540.)  MINIX for the  386  (MINIX-386  for  short)  can  be
>    installed on a machine with at least a 386sx processor, 3 MB
>    memory and at least 25-30 MB of disk space.
>
>       -andrew

Right, this is why I asked what type of processor he had.  Minix for
i386 wants 3MB - more than he apparently has...unless 1.9 was a type or
I misunderstood.  Thanks for the tip, though.  Although I have questions
about the utility of Minix on a 286 with 640KB RAM, I will nevertheless
take a look a it to see what can be done with such a system.

Thanks,
Nathan

--
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C