Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
On Sunday, 20 August 2006 at 10:47:17 +0000, Brad Kowalczyk wrote:
Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
On Sunday, 20 August 2006 at  4:44:06 +0000, Brad Kowalczyk wrote:
Seems I have the correct driver loaded and the device exists but no
sound...
It would be good to say which one (kldstat output), but from below I
expect you'll have:

Here's my kldstat output:

(all drivers loaded)

I reallise I don't need all those other sound drivers, but can't
seem tp find where to disable them...

That depends on how you enabled them :-) You should have something
like this in /var/run/dmesg.boot:

  pcm0: <nVidia nForce2> port 0xe400-0xe4ff,0xe800-0xe87f mem
0xeb000000-0xeb000fff irq 21 at device 6.0 on pci0
  pcm0: <Avance Logic ALC655 AC97 Codec>
yes:

pcm0: <nVidia nForce> port 0xe400-0xe47f,0xe000-0xe0ff mem 0xdc180000-0xdc180fff irq 16 at device 6.0 on pci0
pcm0: <Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 Codec>
In this case, you should add to your /boot/loader.conf (creating the
file if it doesn't exist):

  snd_ich_load=YES
yes I have that
It might also help if you can connect the pcm device to a different
IRQ from the nv device; but that depends on your motherboard BIOS.
I'm running 5.4 STABLE. I don't have much experience on FreeBSD, how do
I change the IRQ for a device?

As I say,

that depends on your motherboard BIOS.

I'd look in the PCI device configuration first.

It might also help to move to 6.1.  I had problems with sound on this
board until I did
I attempted to upgrade to 6.1 last week. All went well until make installkernel where I got a 'no disk space' error part way through. I ended up doing a complete reinstall as I somehow ended up with an unbootable system.

I'll keep fiddling about anyhow. Thanks for your input.

BTW love your brewing fridge! Got to get me one of those :)

Cheers,

Brad