On Aug 21, 2006, at 12:13 PM, David Banning wrote:
I have just been looking over the SPF Website to list my site as a non-spam site. My understanding is that increasingly mail servers will be listed
as spam if they are -not- listed with some credible source.

So I thought I would list my site with;

http://www.openspf.org

I have two questions.

1. Is this a good idea?

The primary utility for this is that it reduces the amount of forged traffic involving domains which publish an SPF record; note that this is useful regardless of whether you actually list your site at www.openspf.org.

2. The site says that I must update my "zone file" with the following string;

3s1.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ptr mx:banning.ca mx:mail.banning.ca mx:skytracker.ca mx:mail.skytracker.ca mx:skytrackercanada.com mx:mail.optexstaging.com mx:optexstaging.com mx:smartstage.com mx:vondette.net ?all"

but I am at odds as to which zone file this would go in. Is there a
resource for this, or could someone just let me know what needs to be
done with this.

The FreeBSD site and makes reference to "zone files", not -one- zone file. Even if I know which file, I would need some guidance to where in the file.

Well, you need to understand a bit about DNS:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network- dns.html

Basically, you would add that TXT record to the zone file for 3s1.com, or have whoever is doing your DNS handle it (xname.org?)...

--
-Chuck