I am looking for the best possible solution in order to setup a High availability mail cluster using FreeBSD (smtp/imap/pop server with 1000 accounts).

Selected software are as followed :
-----------------------------------

- Postfix
- Amavisd-new
- SpamAssassin
- Courier Imap
- DCC-DCCD
- Clamav
- a web mail (not yet selected but probably horde)

The idea is to offer a simple and very efficient solution in order for the server to have a 100% uptime under any circumstances.

I would like (if possible) to stick to software available in the ports (for ease of maintenance).

I was first thinking about using Linux-HA aka. "heartbeat" and syncing the two boxes using rsync ?

What other solution would you think of ?

Can't really help with the HA aspect, but I'd take a look at:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/mail/postfix-policyd-weight/pkg-descr

"Policyd-weight is (as the name says) a weighted policyd for Postfix.
It uses HELO, MAIL FROM and the MTA IP address for scoring their
correctness. It also uses definable DNSBLs and RHSBLs in a scored fashion."

I've been using that instead of spamassassin (which can be a memory hog) and very little spam makes it through. It's nice in that it doesn't even have to accept the message body to do it's thing.

Also, consider, clamsmtp

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/security/clamsmtp/pkg-descr

for tying clamav into postfix without having ot use amavisd...

And lastly, you might take a look at roundcube for webmail...

http://roundcube.net/