You pretty much followed what I had wrote before that when I had a similar problem, I booted the install disk, but exited sysinstall to a shell prompt. I then mounted the root partition, then manually copied over the kernel from the install CD to the root partition.

That does copy over the GENERIC kernel which usually works but you may want to customize. Once I rebooted the system I cvsup'd, made and installed the world and a custom kernel.

Remaking world will likely fix the problems you are having.

        -Derek

At 07:22 PM 8/23/2006, Perry Hutchison wrote:
> > After a CD boot, is there a reasonably simple way to have
> > sysinstall reinstall just the kernel -- or the package
> > containing it -- without starting completely over?
>
> Yeah, see what Derek wrote. Never done that, myself, or even
> heard of the kernel not getting installed.

What Derek wrote?  I haven't gotten that.

What I did (for the archives):
  Make note of root partition.  One way to find it is (at
    the OK prompt after the boot failure) "more /etc/fstab"
  Boot CD
  Get into Fixit mode
  Mount root partition on /mnt
  mkdir /mnt/boot/kernel
  cp /dist/boot/kernel/kernel /mnt/boot/kernel

Granted that's the install kernel, which may not be all that
great for general use, but it works well enough to get back to the
X-config trouble I was having before the disk died (which is likely
to become a new thread here -- xorgcfg is producing a blizzard of
unresolved symbol messages when trying to load drivers; the mouse
doesn't work; the keypad-based mouse emulator works after a fashion
but I can't figure how to tell it "ok, done"; ...).

believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.