On 8/25/06, Bob Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 8/24/06, Perry Hutchison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In 6.1, how would I set up xorg.conf to restrict Xorg to a few
> specific modes?  The Xorg.8.log created during xorgcfg shows 24
> modelines, but when I cycle through the modes using CtrlAltPlus
> there are two which don't work at all and the remaining 22 cover
> only 8 resolutions (of which only about 3 seem likely to actually
> be useful.)

I don't know if there is an easier way, but I just copy the modelines
I like from the log and paste them in the xorg.conf file. Put them in
the "Monitor" section.

To address your second paragraph: in my case at least, including
explicit modelines suppresses the automatic modes. I only get the ones
explicitly listed. This has worked in both XFree86 and Xorg.

- Bob