On Sun, 27 Aug 2006, Nikolas Britton wrote:

On 8/26/06, Atom Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 8/26/06, Darrin Chandler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 10:43:38PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > Neat to see nVidia *much* more popular then ATI though ...
>
> Really? Why is that neat? nVidia restricts your choices through their
> staunch refusal to provide open specs. They are not nice players in this
> game. At least there's some hope about ATI after the AMD deal.

Probably because the /good/ AMD boards use an nVidia chipsets. ( eg, the K8N)

What I think is interesting is the only ~50% uptake of FreeBSD/amd64
on 64-bit x86 capable systems. FreeBSD/i386 takes ~90% of the pie.
Also the less then 1% uptake of sparc64 and alpha ports and 0% for
FreeBSD/PPC. Maybe we should can some of these platform ports, how
much overhead do they add to the project?

Well, considering we are only seeing ~2 weeks of stats, I think its a bit early to 'can ports' :)

But, as far as 'overhead do they add', my guess is next to zero ... those working on those ports are most likely those more familiar with PPC/Sparc then they are with Intel stuff, so, in essence, we've attract those developers to us vs converted existing developers over to those platforms for porting purposes ...