Hi there,

I'm trying to get FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE boot off of HightPoint RocketRAID
100 (HPT370A, BIOS v. 2.34) based RAID1 array.

The machine is IBM Netfinity 3500 M10 with an Adaptec AIC-7895 (v.  2.10)
The disks are two Seagate Barracuda IV ST340016A (PRI/SEC masters on the
card).

I've created the array in the BIOS, dump|restore'd /dev/ad0s1
filesystems (/, /usr) to /dev/ar0s1, halted the machine, and removed the
ad0 disk.

Now I'm supposed to be able to select a disk or an array to boot from in
the HPT bios but as far as I can tell it doesn't really offer the array,
just the disks. Or I don't understand the output, which is *very*
possible:

    Channel Status
    Channel            Drive Name  Array Name  Mode     Size(GB)  Status
( ) Primary Master:    ST340016A   RAID_1_0    ATA/100  40.01     HDD2
    Primary Slave:     No Drive
    Secondary Master:  ST340016A   RAID_1_0    ATA/100  40.01     Hidden
    Secondary Slave:   No Drive

IOW it offers (only) the Primary master for selection. I press enter
here, and the HDD2 status changes to BOOT. I quit the BIOS (esc, y), the
system reboots, but only gets here:

    Press <Ctrl-H> to run BIOS Setting Utility
    Scan Devices: Please Wait...
    Primary Master:    RAID_1_0
    Primary Slave:     No Drive
    Secondary Master:  RAID_1_0
    Secondary Slave:   No Drive
    Invalid partition
    Invalid partition
    No /boot/loader

    >> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
    Default: 0:da(0,s)/kernel
    boot:
    Invalid partition
    No /kernel

BTW, the array seems to be otherwise fine:

    Array Status
    Array Name  Array Mode          Block Size  Size(GB)
    RAID_1_0    RAID 1 (Mirroring)  N/A         40.01

posts with the same problem, replies to those "it works ok here", but no
real help.

Can you help me out of this?

Thanks,

Roman Neuhauser

--
FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE
4:52PM up 14 mins, 7 users, load averages: 0.13, 0.06, 0.01