On 8/27/06, David Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Aug 27, 2006, at 4:35 PM, hackmiester (Hunter Fuller) wrote:

> Everyone will laugh at this, but I have an old box with a 25mHz
> processor or so. It has 8mB of memory. I want to install some type
> of UNIX clone on it, as a proof of concept. I don't care if it's
> linux, freebsd, or something else, but I need something that will
> run with enough speed to run an sshd and not much else. It will
> just be to prove that old hardware can still be used. Any suggestions?

Haven't booted it in a long time but have FreeBSD 2.1.0 or 2.1.5 on a
16 MHz 386sx16 with 4 MB of RAM.

Has an 8 bit NE2000 NIC which required the NFS window be reduced to
1k or so. I used this as a "portable FreeBSD netinstall box" back in
the bad old days before I could afford a CD-R, or even have CD-ROM on
many machines.

You could try FreeBSD 2.2.9! It was released April 1st 2006.

"Releases which are published from a -STABLE branch will be supported
by the Security Officer for a minimum of 12 months after the release."
http://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html#adv

So technically it's a current and fully supported release of
FreeBSD!!! hahahaha! :-0

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/