Everytime* I use a program, usually a game, that switches into
full-screen mode, I get dumped to a tty screen and everything is hung;
I have to power cycle to fix it. Yesterday, everything worked
perfectly.

The only thing I did in the interim that influenced the system was to
install gcc42 from ports, and then immediately after deinstall it.

OS is 6.1-REL. I'm using the NVIDIA binary driver. It doesn't matter
whether I start the programs in KDE or twm.

*I didn't test every program--that would take too much time. Also
recompiling the games did nothing.