Gerard Seibert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Dr. Jennifer
Nussbaum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I inherited a FreeBSD 4.8 box that had a lot of out of date ports on it. in
> trying to fix some of this, i seem to have screwed up the package or
> ports system in a way i cant manage to fix.

That is really quite an old version of FSBD. If possible, I think you
would be well served by updating to the latest version - 6.1 - if
possible.

I may be wrong, but I do not believe that there is a lot of support for
that version anymore.

I wish i could, but i dont have physical access to the machine - its
in a remote location with no serial console. So if anything gets
messed up during an upgrade, im in a hell of a lot of trouble.

I dont know when i'll be able to fix this problem so until i can upgrade
the OS i at least want to keep the rest of it up to date.

Jen.