On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 07:58:58PM +0200, Jordi Carrillo wrote:
> When I compile a new program from ports, freebsd takes quite a lot of RAM.
> Is that something right or it's a flaw? It does happen to you? The main
> problem is that not all memory used in compilation is freed, so it can be a
> problem (meaning rebooting) after compiling a very big software such as
> openoffice or gnome.

How much memory FreeBSD uses when installing a port usually depends on
the port. However, how are you determining that the memory is not
freed up after the port is done installing? Are you running into
situation where a huge percentage of your ram is being used during the
build process, which then forces the system to swap *after* the
install is complete? If you are determining the amount of free ram by
simply looking at top(1), and the system is not swapping, then I don't
think you have an issue. FreeBSD will free up the memory when it needs
it.

Cheer,
Jason