On 9/1/06, Doug Sampson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
When trying to portupgrade ruby to 1.8.5, I get the following:

<..snip..>

Generating RI...
/usr/ports/lang/ruby18/work/ruby-1.8.5/lib/yaml.rb:387: [BUG] Segmentation
fault
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [i386-freebsd6]

Without anything else to go on, ruby seems to
strongly dislike certain CFLAGS settings (I think
-fomit-frame-pointer is one, if I recall from
some rebuilding problems I had a year or so
ago).  Check your /etc/make.conf , perhaps just
commenting the CFLAGS & CXXFLAGS & CPUTYPE
settings out.

Once in a while I run into a port that will not
rebuild through portupgrade, yet seems to work
perfectly by:
cd /usr/ports/<port path> && make deinstall reinstall

Then again, if all you use ruby for is portupgrade,
maybe you can try:
portupgrade -pp ruby
?