As usual, as soon as I post, I discover the correct search string to get me to
the answer:

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-questions%40freebsd.org/msg147148.html

This poster even bought the same monitor I did. Does anyone know: Will newer
nvidia cards generally work at this resolution? It seems safest just to get
the one he did.

Thanks,

Oliver