On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 09:19:10AM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >     fixit mode.   What I really want is to get the data files off
> >     and over to another servr.  Havng /etc/* and maybe /var/db/pkg/*
> >     would be a big help.  Then I could reinstall 5.3  ->5.5 and
> >     finally over to 6.1.
>
> Why go via 5.5 if you're upgrading by installing a new system on the
> machine?  Just go straight to 6.1.

        Good point.

> Stuff you should backup before doing that:
>
>     /etc             --- absolutely vital

        Yep; and I do have a Tao.tbz; but it is sitting right in
        /usr/tmp, on tao.  (....)

>     /usr/local/etc   --- ditto: most people have put hours of work into
>                          port configuration files which would be painful
>                          to have to recreate.
>     /var             --- lots of programs keep their state in files in
>                          /var, not to mention stuff like MYSQL DB files.
>     /home or /usr/home - depending on how your disk is laid out.
>     /root
>
> Other stuff you might need to backup:
>
>     /usr/local/www   --- if you run web sites of this machine
>     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/{xdm,app-defaults,...}
>                      --- if you've customised stuff under there
>
>     /boot/loader.conf
>     /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/HOSTNAME
>                      --- these two should be mostly for reference as
>                          their contents have changed significantly with
>                          changes to the system.
>      /usr/local/share/snmp/{snmp.conf,snmpd.conf}
>                      ---  only if you run net-snmpd: for some reason it
>                           keeps its config files here instead of under
>                           /usr/local/etc
>
> That covers all of the locations I know of where hand customised files
> can generally be found (on machines I admin, at least).  Everything else
> should be replacable by running a 'make world' cycle or by using the ports.
> No doubt other people do things differently, so will have a slightly different
> list...

        Every night I tar -y my website files up and sent them remote.
        --Whenever-I-remember, I tar up the /etc directories and ship
        them to local servers.  (I *really* do gotta get a plan.  Never
        expect 5.4 to [ct]rap out!  What a wakeup call....)

        Oh: /boot/loader.conf is something to consider too.  Thanks
        much.

        gary

--
   Gary Kline     [EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.thought.org     Public service Unix