On Sep 3, 2006, at 1:43 PM, g wrote:
using the direction in chapter 5 didn't help. i followed the instructions and now x window system does not start. i'm going to reload the os and follow the directions again.
You probably do not need to reload the OS. When you install FreeBSD, I recommend you to install the base system and to keep the amount of Packages you install to a minimum. Install X.org from Ports and then follow the instructions within the FreeBSD Handbook.

the xorg.conf.new file requires information i may not have and cannot find, the vertical and horizontal frequencies. if i can't find the frequencies, are there default values that i can use to create that file.
I did not know my monitor information and used the values that it came up with and they appeared to work fine. If it works for you, then use them. If it does not, then call your monitor manufacturer and get the information you need. Or, resort to Google; you can probably find the information there.

I, along with the rest of freebsd-questions, need to know more information before a potential fix can be prescribed. This information includes, as an example, what your current OS version is (output of uname -a), how you installed X.org (Ports or Packages), what you currently have in your xorg.conf.new file, what steps you have taken and what the output is (many of the log files are within / var/log), your hardware (what type of video card and monitor do you have), etc. Anything that you _think_ may be relevant needs to be given. If you are unsure, then posting extra information will not hamper things.

In the event that it can help you right now, I have pasted the contents of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as well as my .xinitrc file (~/.xinitrc) which will start Window Maker when startx is entered. I hope this helps.

<xorg.conf>
cat xorg.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        #DisplaySize      330   240     # mm
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "DEL"
        ModelName    "DELL D1025TM"
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        HorizSync    30.0 - 85.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "SWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "HWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoAccel"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShadowFB"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "UseFBDev"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Rotate"                    # [<str>]
        #Option     "VideoKey"                  # <i>
        #Option     "FlatPanel"                 # [<bool>]
        #Option     "FPDither"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CrtcNumber"                # <i>
        #Option     "FPScale"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "FPTweak"                   # <i>
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "NV5 [RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro]"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     1
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     4
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     8
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     15
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes     "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

</xorg.conf>

<.xinitrc>
# WindowMaker default X session startup script

PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"

# If you login from xdm, uncomment this to make error messages appear
# in the console window.
#
# tail -f /home/iqgrande/.xsession-errors > /dev/console &

exec wmaker

</.xinitrc>

www.windowmaker.info site seems to be down
It is up now. The documentation here will primarily assist you after it is installed and operational.

thanks,

g.