On 3 September 2006, at 12:37, James Long wrote:

The man page mv(1) states:

"It is an error for either the source operand or the destination path
to specify a directory unless both do."

However:

mv file /tmp/

works.  Am I reading things wrong, or is the man page incorrect?

I think what it means is you cannot move a directory to a file. You also can't move a file so it becomes a directory. FOr example:

snowy:~ hackmiester$ mv blah blahdir/
mv: rename blah to blahdir/: No such file or directory

You are actually moving the file INTO the directory, not trying to make a file BE a directory. See what I mean?

Jim