Alexey Mikhailov wrote:

If you trust to content of file "apache22/apr_dbd_mysql.rev-50.c" you can even use "make NO_CHECKSUM=1 install". But if I were at your place I tried to update "apache22" port and if this will happen again I would submit PR.

Hello. Thanks for the answer.
I repeatedly updated my port tree before writing this.
I contacted the maintainer, who said it could not reproduce the error.
I tried this again after a few days and it worked.
I really don't know the reason. I might suspect some sort of caching (transparent proxy?) somewhere between me and the master site, possibly at my ISP, but these are really only speculations.

 bye & Thanks
        av.