On Monday 04 September 2006 08:18, Atom Powers wrote:
> It wouldn't, because it doesn't know what kind of monitor you have.
>
> Take a look at the modline in this post to see what I'm talking about.
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69920
> I don't remember what that all means, but that card should be able to
> support that resolution.
>
> Note: The monitor I'm using now, ViewSonic vx2025wm, shows completely
> different behavior whether I use the VGA or DVI input; for example, MS
> Widows simply would not recognize that it was capable of 1680x1050
> until I got the DVI input to work. ( To get the DVI to work I had to
> shut everything down, unplugged, for a few minutes and boot it all
> back up wit the DVI cable, only, installed.)

Very cool. A lot for my poor feeble newbie brain to process. I'll bet you were
right about the Radeon card being able to work. man radeon turns up a lot of
these options.

Looking at xorg.conf, it looks as if I have two devices specified.

Section "Device"
   Identifier     "Standard VGA"
    Driver         "vga"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    BoardName      "Unknown"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier     "GeForce 6200 LE"
   Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

I am not sure what vga is doing there (something xorgconfig stuck in?), but it
does not seem to do any harm (?). I'm going to try erasing it and seeing if
disaster strikes.

It's picking up the correct refresh rates without any options specified in the
device section. I would guess that if I were using the digital output, this
might not be the case? I'm cheating a bit by having a windows box connected
to the digital input and the FreeBSD box connected to the analog input, so
bypassing the issue while avoiding paying for a digital KVM switch.

It looks as if there is an order-of-magnitude difference in the processing
power needed to do analog and digital at the same display size. I'm told that
a 6600 is the minimum needed to cope with the 1680x1050 with digital.

Oliver