> > Having gotten a sufficiently-recent version of glib, I am now
> > several hours into the build of OpenOffice, and I've discovered
> > that Firefox has quit working.  When I try to start it:
> >
> > GThread-ERROR **: file gthread-posix.c: line 187 (): error 'Invalid
> > argument' during 'pthread_mutex_trylock'
> > aborting...
> > Abort trap (core dumped)
> >
> > Of course, since it won't start up, I can't consult Help/About
> > to find out the version :(  but based on /var/db/pkg I think it
> > is firefox-1.5.0.1_1,1
> >
> > I suppose Firefox and OpenOffice are tripping over each other WRT
> > the version of some shared library, but I thought the whole point
> > of having version numbers on shared libs was to prevent that sort
> > of problem.

> I would suspect that you've hit some obscure version issue ...
> I seem to remember one point at which I rebuilt OOo and had to
> rebuild firefox to get it working, but I don't remember for sure.

The Firefox is the package from the 6.1 CD set, and the OpenOffice
is a current Ports build (in process).  I figure to try rebuilding
Firefox from its port once the OpenOffice build finishes -- it's
been running for something over 16 hours now, and is currently in
svx/source/svdraw.

What I don't get is why a shared-lib change would manifest this way.
If I understand shared-lib versioning correctly, any incompatible
change to any exported API should have occasioned a change to at
least the minor version number, precisely to avoid this sort of hit
on an existing binary that was built to the old API.  Such binaries
"should" continue to use the old version of the shared library, no?