I have this in my /etc/devfs.rules file on a system successfully using
CUPS with a parallel port printer:

[localrules=10]
add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups

(I also have 'devfs_system_ruleset="localrules"' in my /etc/rc.conf
file.)

That makes sure that CUPS can access the lpt* devices (including the
lpt*.ctl devices).  Mode 0660 also ensures that not everyone can access
lpt*, just root and members of the cups group (i.e., CUPS).

Cheers,

Paul.

You solution in the same of the bug report I mentioned in another post
in this thread. It refers to the bug report and fix in:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-bugs/2006-July/094331.html

I still have problems with CUPS. It borks complaining about
foomatic-rip not being found, although it installed. Did you get a
problem like that too?

I have a HP Deskjet 840C on /dev/lpt0

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.