in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
wrote Joel Adamson thusly...

> I am switching over my desktop system to FreeBSD ...  want to
> choose a nice window manager.  One of the more annoying things I
> want to get away from in Microsoft Windows is focus-shifting: I'll
> be typing along in one place, then a webpage will finish loading,
> the window focus shifts, I keep typing and execute a bunch of
> commands in the new window
> In general I'd prefer a window manager that avoids these sorts of
> things (i.e., only does what I ask it to).

In FVWM (under /usr/ports/x11-wm/fvwm2-devel), you can set the
window raising & moving, focus changing, & pointer moving poiclies
to achieve what you want.  You can even set it per window (based on
its resource or title).

You should install fvwm-themes too (in
/usr/ports/x11-themes/fvwm-themes) if you don't want to directly
edit the configuration files.

  - Parv