On Sunday 10 September 2006 19:11, White Hat wrote:
> FreeBSD 6.1
>
> I need to keep several programs starting in a
> particular order.
> The problem is that every time I update these programs
> the rc.d startup file is modified which destroys the
> changes I have made.

I've got around this problem in the past by essentially making a new startup
file, so foo_enable=YES  becomes  myfoo_enable=YES, foo.sh becomes myfoo.sh
etc. This works reasonably well, because not much actually references local
startup files, in the startup sequence.

For anything complicated  I would write a script to automate patching of the
startup scripts.