I am using
portsnap fetch
portsnap update

to sync my ports tree on FreeBSd 6.1...it seems it maintains an index when I run update.

I am used to using:
portsversion and portsupdate to upgrade ports...in this method I have also used
portsdb -Uu
to rebuild an index anytime prior to running these commands...yes portsdb takes a while and I've always wondered if this is necessary prior to running any of these commands..

So my question is: Is the index being maintained by portsnap the same or a replacement to that used by portupgrade? Do I have to maintain both sets of indexes in order to use portsupdate??
What do other people do?

thanks, ke han