On Sep 17, 2006, at 2:47 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hello,

could somebody help me to understand the best way to enter into a single user mode on a remote server.

I need it for the moment, during rebuilding world, when I have to reboot into single user mode before 'mergemaster -p'.

I had this same issue last week... fortunately, my hosting provider had a remote KVM solution and hooked it up to my server while I got the job done. btw, that provider was m5hosting.com. I originally found them from the freebsd.org community page and have been very happy with their knowledge and support.

good luck, ke han

The only solution I found so far is to do 'shutdown -r now' and when the server boots to login with ssh and do 'shutdown now' - which should drop it to single user mode.

I can ask the support at the hosting location to reboot in single user mode, but I do not know if I will have ssh then?

Alternatively I can ask them to do the last few steps.

Thank you for your advises,
Iv.