People,

this is great info; thanks for taking time to type it up.
I'm now convinced that Grub is good.

On my FreeBSD box I see this:

bash moibsd maco /usr/home/maco 3 $
bash moibsd maco /usr/home/maco 3 $
bash moibsd maco /usr/home/maco 3 $
bash moibsd maco /usr/home/maco 3 $
bash moibsd maco /usr/home/maco 3 $ cat /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/ad8s3b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad8s3a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
##/dev/ad8s4a           /u1             ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/acd0               /dvd1           cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/acd1               /dvd2           cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
linprocfs   /compat/linux/proc   linprocfs   rw   0  0
bash moibsd maco /usr/home/maco 4 $
bash moibsd maco /usr/home/maco 4 $
bash moibsd maco /usr/home/maco 4 $
bash moibsd maco /usr/home/maco 4 $

bash moibsd maco /usr/home/maco 4 $ df
bash moibsd maco /usr/home/maco 4 $ df
bash moibsd maco /usr/home/maco 4 $ df
bash moibsd maco /usr/home/maco 4 $ df
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad8s3a  91913630 37443012 47117528    44%    /
devfs               1        1        0   100%    /dev
linprocfs           4        4        0   100%    /usr/compat/linux/proc
bash moibsd maco /usr/home/maco 5 $
bash moibsd maco /usr/home/maco 5 $

Comparing that with the information in the mail list
and this page:
http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-apr2006.html#21
suggests to me,
that this Grub entry would be appropriate:

title FreeBSD 5.5
       root (hd8,2,a)
       kernel /boot/loader

Anyone care to confirm before I pull the plug on my FreeBSD boot0 menu?

-Dan

On 9/16/06, Jeff Rollin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 17/09/06, Dan Bikle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> FreeBSD and Linux people,
>
> I have a PC which I want to boot as windows, FreeBSD, and Suse 10.1Linux.
>
> Currently, FreeBSD boot0 menu shows both Windows and FreeBSD as
> boot-able.
>
> The FreeBSD boot0 menu does not show the Linux OS (which I just
> installed).
>
> So, I did some reading of the FreeBSD handbook:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/boot-blocks.html
>
> It suggests that I have 2 ways to solve this problem:
>
> 1. Configure the FreeBSD boot0 menu so that it can boot
> Windows, FreeBSD, and Linux
>
> Or,
>
> 2. Replace The FreeBSD boot0 menu with  LILO Boot Manager
>
> I like option 1.
>
> Q1: How do I add Suse 10.1 Linux to the FreeBSD boot0 menu?
>
> As for option 2,
> if I want to try LILO, I'll need to toss my FreeBSD boot0 menu in the
> trash.
>
> Q2: If I cannot get LILO to boot FreeBSD, how do I boot get
> FreeBSD to boot and then how do I restore my old FreeBSD boot0 menu?

AFAIK, FreeBSD's boot loader cannot be configured, but merely loads the
OSes detected when it is run. If it does not detect something, you're out of
luck.

A better option than LILO is GRUB, which is installed by default by SUSE
10.x. XP will probably be detected by the installlation program, but if
not, here's how to add both XP and FreeBSD to the menu:

Edit the file /boot/grub/menu.1st. Create new entries as follows.

# The following entries assume that Windows XP is on drive 0, partition 0
(/dev/hda1 in Linux, /dev/ad0s1 in FBSD), with SuSE Linux on drive 0,
partition 1 (/dev/hda2 or /dev/ad0s2), and FreeBSD on drive 1, partition 0
(/dev/hdb1, /dev/ad1s0a)

title=WindowsXP
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

title=SuSE Linux 10.1
root (hd0,1)
kernel={the correct parameters should already be here}

title=FreeBSD 6.1
root (hd1,0,a)
chainloader +1

# menu.1st ends here