I was going to attempt an in-place upgrade of a light load server running 5.3 to bring it to 6.1 RELEASE P6 (RELENG_6_1). I read in UPDATING that going between 5.x and 6.x requires single user mode which isn't an option on a remote machine (though I can stop sendmail, bind, popper etc manually but not that which keeps me on like sshd). I've not taken a machine to single user yet during my builds but have always had the box in my possession and on my private net when I've done that. I saw threads even today that left the issue somewhat up in the air. I still need to protect the machine. Would a doable jump be to move the machine to RELENG_5_5 remotely or would that most likely be unsuccessful without going single user? There is no exotic hardware on the box. _______________________________________________