On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 04:54:14PM -0400, Edward and Nancy Powers wrote:
> I am new to UNIX, and want to download a basic UNIX system, just to
> run commands and become familiar with the system.  I wish to use this
> system as a companion piece to a UNIX tutorial which I have on DVD. I
> do not want to replace Windows at this time.
>
> My PC has:  Pentium III Processor at 1GHz, 128MB RAM at 133 MHz,
> Windows ME operating system.
>
> What course of action do you recommend that I take?

The ideal approach for someone in your situation would be to download
and install http://www.vmware.com/products/server/ and then download a
ready to use FreeBSD appliance
http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/ or, alternatively, go
through the installation process yourself by installing FreeBSD from a
CD using vmware.  You can experiment to your hearts content without
affecting your current system.

Your PC is more than adequate to run FreeBSD (provided the hardware is
supported), but would require an extra 128MB RAM for vmware.  The
problem is your version of Windows.  Maybe you can buy a used copy of
Windows 2000 from someone?