> Hi All,
>
> I am running FreeBSD 5.4 and have recently received the following message on
> our box for the /var partiton.
> No inodes left.
>
> I have checked the statistics and there was an apache httpd log which was
> maxing out the usable space. I have since removed this file and the available
> space has dropped to over 50%. However I still get the 'no inodes left'
> message even though I have freed the space.
>
> Does anyone know how I can get the inodes to be freed up on the /var
> partition.

inodes are used for file entries.  Each file/directory uses an inode.
When you run out of inodes, you can't create any more files, no matter
how much space you have left.

"df -i" will show inode usage.

The only way to free up inodes is to delete some files/directories.
You must have a lot of files or directories somewhere to be using up
all your inodes when you have 50% of the disk left.  Once you find
out where all the files are, you can delete some, or possible tar
them up so they only take up a single inode.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.