Marc G. Fournier wrote:

Basically, I have 5x72G drives ... I'd *love* to do RAID5 with them, but that doesn't appear to be available right now

Maybe you could try geom_raid3 instead? It's pretty nice, especially for databases. The only caveat is that you cannot boot off it if you use all the drives. Maybe raid3(3 drives for data)+mirror(2 disks for system) will be useful to you (since you can boot a mirrored drive).

(note that geom_raid3 is not RAID3 as theoretically defined, but more like RAID4).