On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 09:01:58AM -0700, Mike Peirson wrote:

> Jerry McAllister wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 04:47:19PM -0700, Mike Peirson wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all,
> >>First off, I'm new to FreeBSD and this mailinglist so I hope I am in the
> >>same error. When I try to boot into FreeBSD, this eventually comes up:
> >>
> >>        Manual root filesystem specification:
> >><fstype>
> >>                                       eg. ufs:da0s1a
> >>                  ?                 List valid disk boot devices
> >>                  <empty line>      abort manual input
> >>                Mountroot>
> >>

> >Hmmm.   this looks like there is no boot sector available.  I haven't
> >seen messages before just exactly like this, but sort of.
> >
> >Did it appear to load things properly?
> >
> >After installation finished and you got the congradulations message,
> >what did you do?
> >
> >////jerry
> >
> >>--
> >>Michael Peirson
> >

> Hi Jerry,
>
> I started the install from the standard 2 disc set and it is FreeBSD
> 6.1-release. I used the FreeBSD MBR. I created a FreeBSD slice using up
> all of the HDD in sysinstall. I did not mark the slice as bootable.. I
> tried to use that option but it told me that it didn't apply. I created
> several partitions inside the FreeBSD slice. /, swap, /var, /tmp, /usr,
> /home, /etc. I did a standard install and chose the Developer set of
> packages (I don't need X because I plan to run a server). I also went
> through and added extra programs off of the disc. Everything appeared to
> load properly. I rebooted after I  finished with the install and it
> began to boot up fine but then I got that mountroot> message.

Most of that looks normal except for one thing.  /etc should not
really be in its own partition.   It needs to stay in root.
That is because the system needs to have it available during the
boot up process.   It mounts the assumed root (partition a) read-only
in a temporary spot and reads necessary stuff from it.  Then later,
after fsck and such, it remounts it appropriately.   Maybe, for
some reason, it thinks it need information from something like
/etc/fstab or another place and that is not available until after
the remount.

That is sort of grabbing at straws, but it is the only thing I can
see at the moment.   So, maybe try rethinking your slice division.

////jerry