John Nielsen wrote:
Use both approaches since they tell you different things which just
happen some of the time to coincide.

If you happen to be one of the smart admins who actually reviews the output of the periodic scripts, then simply adding
        daily_status_gmirror_enable="YES"
to /etc/periodic.conf will give you a daily health check. If you want more granularity than a single day, you could use the contents of the periodic script as a starting point for rolling your own.

JN

That's good as I actually get all of our servers to email to me. I have also done the smartd thing with an email output as well.

Thanks to all for useful input.
--
Robin Becker