On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 04:12:03PM -0700, Perry Hutchison wrote:

> File locking works reasonably well within a single "system" (defined
> as a combination of hardware and software that all crashes together
> :)  I doubt anyone will ever get it to work all that well when the
> locks must be shared across a larger entity.

Not yet extensive 'real-world-usage-experience' but from what I have
learnt and seen myself, DLM (Distributed Lock Manager) coming with
GFS v6.1 (Global File System) does quite a nice job. However, it is
not NFS and requries quite a bit more pocket money to setup as a SAN
is required (unless you use iSCSI served off a spare box...). So
building a reliable lock manager over multiple systems can be done.

Kurt