I've been reading about device polling. I'm wondering if it's worth doing on a busy website (4,000,000+ hits/month, 45GB+ bandwidth use). I understand what polling is and how it queues traffic as opposed to the "old-fashioned" interrupt method, but do you really gain performance-wise? Are there any pitfalls to enabling it in the kernel? (I understand you can enable/disable it using ifconfig.) Any gotchas regarding tuning? (This is a production website. I don't want to cause problems that are hard to figure out.)

If it matters, I'm running 6.1 RELEASE, GENERIC kernel, Broadcomm GIG NICs, 3.2GHz processor, 2GB of memory, apache 1.3.*

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/