On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Louis LeBlanc wrote:

> Ok, this one is pretty frustrating.  We had a power cut tonight, and
> my machine rebooted.  It came up quite nicely, better than I expected,
> considering I had recently updated some of the startup packages, and
> hadn't yet had a chance to power cycle it myslef.
>
> One problem.  Now, when I log into X, my window manager won't come up.
> I get the dull grey grid with an 'X' mouse pointer, and the console,
> but no menu, terminal, nothing.
I don't use ~/.Xclients but this happens on my machine, when
the file xinitrc cannot be found or isn't configured correctly.

You could test your xinitrc by placing it in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/
(this is the default for FreeBSD 4.7)
and
startx

Hope this helps.

Uli.

> My ~/.Xclients hasn't changed, and
> that's where I've always started fvwm2 from  I even had it redirect
> error output to a file so I could see what was the problem when
> something didn't work.  Now, I see nothing.  The ~/.FVWM-errors file
> never gets created, so it looks like .Xclients never gets executed.
>
> Did the XFree86 desktop init file change?  I can't find any docs on
> it.  Manpages aren't much help either.   And since I can't get
> anythign running in X, I can't get a browser up to go to xfree86.org
> and see.  Hell, I like the TTY terminals for some things, but even
> Mutt is kindof a pain there.
>
> Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Lou
> --
> Louis LeBlanc               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Fully Funded Hobbyist, KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
> http://www.keyslapper.org
>
> "Elves and Dragons!" I says to him.  "Cabbages and potatoes are better
> for you and me."
>     -- J. R. R. Tolkien

*        Peter Ulrich Kruppa        *
*          -  Wuppertal -           *