Guys,

        This may/may not prove the superiority of BSD over the Linux
        kernel, dunno.   Maybe you can help me figure out what I
        need to tune; or (*sob*) lighten  my load on ethos.

        I've got three of the 4 default workspaces full of apps.
        Mostly xterms or "gnome-terminals".  I have 1G RAM, a huge
        disk, a 2800 AMD chip, yet realplay is *very* slow to respond.
        It's time-counter changes only ever 8 seconds and when I
        cover part or all, it takes several seconds to fill back in.

        Is this a bug in xorg or in realplay or what?  Last night I
        closed realplay and began having similar problems with one of the
        terminals.  I have run CTWM for years so am used to a lightweight
        wm.  I haven't checked to see if gnome/kde-LITE are available.
        That may be the problem.

        I am reluctant to post this to the ubuntuforums because I've
        already asked enough idiot questions ...  (Sure, I do the
        same here, but I know you guys:-)

        I could close all my xterms and see, but it took hours to get
        things configured just the way I  want!

        tia, you'n's,

        gary

--