--- "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Sep 23, 2006, at 2:34 PM, Jason Artz wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to install FreeBSD 6.1 on my system, but I
> only
> > have a version 5.3 CD.  I can tell sysinstall to
> get
> > 6.1 instead of 5.3 via FTP (under "Options,
> Release
> > name"), but I read that using an old sysinstall to
> > install a new version is a bad idea.  I cannot
> figure
> > out how to obtain a new sysinstall without making
> boot
> > floppies (I have no floppy drive nor a CDRW).  Can
> > install 5.3 and then somehow upgrade via FTP to
> 6.1?
> > Or download the new sysinstall to my 5.3
> installation,
> > run it, and install 6.1 instead?  What's the best
> > method?
>
> Can you just download the 6.1 iso disks and make new
> installer disks?
>
> Otherwise, you can install 5.3 and use cvsup to
> upgrade to 6.1
> through a source upgrade.  Just follow the
> instructions carefully.

Is there a way to do a binary install instead of
downloading all the new sources and compiling them as
an upgrade?  I don't have a floppy or CDRW drive so I
cannot burn new installer disks.  I am stuck with 5.3
installer disks.  It seems that there should be a way
for me to do a fresh, binary install of 6.1 from 5.3.

What if someone sent me a copy of 6.1s sysinstall and
I ran it from the 5.3 environment?  Would that allow
me to do a proper, fresh 6.1 install via FTP?  I have
tried installing 6.1 with my sysinstall and it will
not boot.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason