I have a motherboard with two onboard Promise ATA66 controllers. The hard drive is a Seagate ST380021A, connected as the master on the first Promise controller, referenced as ad4. I have attempted to do a clean install, creating one FreeBSD slice on the entire disk. I set the slice bootable and I install a Standard MBR on it. After this I do a full install of 4.7, do the post-install configuration, but when the machine reboots I get prompted to mount the root. For some reason, the machine is attempting to mount the root from ad0s1a instead of ad4s1a. At the mountroot prompt I do enter:

mountroot> ufs:/dev/ad4s1a

and the machine continues booting without problem. Here is the dmesg output:

atapci1: <Promise ATA66 controller> port 0xe800-0xe83f,0xe400-0xe403,0xe000-0xe007,0xdc00-0xdc03,0xd800-0xd807 mem 0xe0000000-0xe001ffff irq 9 at device 14.0 on pci0
ata2: at 0xd800 on atapci1
ata3: at 0xe000 on atapci1
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
ad4: 76319MB <ST380021A> [155061/16/63] at ata2-master UDMA66
acd0: CDROM <ATAPI 52X CDROM> at ata1-master PIO4
Mounting root from ufs:ad0s1a
Root mount failed: 6
Mounting root from ufs:ad0a
Root mount failed: 6

Manual root filesystem specification:
eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
? List valid disk boot devices
<empty line> Abort manual input

mountroot> ufs:/dev/ad4s1a
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad4s1a

There is only the Seagate hard drive in the computer, no others. I don't know why it's looking for anything on ad0. There are the correct devices listed in /dev :

/dev/ad4
/dev/ad4s1
/dev/ad4s1a
/dev/ad4s1b
/dev/ad4s1c
/dev/ad4s1d
/dev/ad4s1e
/dev/ad4s1f
/dev/ad4s1g
/dev/ad4s1h

and /etc/fstab references all the right devices:

# See the fstab(5) manual page for important information on automatic mounts
# of network filesystems before modifying this file.
#
# Device Mountpoint FStype Options Dump Pass#
/dev/ad4s1b none swap sw 0 0
/dev/ad4s1a / ufs rw 1 1
/dev/ad4s1e /boot ufs rw 2 2
/dev/ad4s1h /home ufs rw 2 2
/dev/ad4s1g /tmp ufs rw 2 2
/dev/ad4s1d /usr ufs rw 2 2
/dev/ad4s1f /var ufs rw 2 2
/dev/acd0c /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0
proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

In case it helps, here is how I labeled and sized the filesystems (listed in order of creation during the install):

/boot 50M
/ 1500M
swap 1024M
/var 5000M