Hi everyone,

First of all, glad to still be running FBSD after all these years.

I tried following some docs I found online in order to make my /usr partition bigger and made it all the way to growfs -s, which is where I got stuck.

First of all, here was my original dilema, what I did, then a descript of where I am regarding growfs problem.

System (aka firewall): Pentium60 40M RAM 2 NICS, running FBSD4.5-stable (a great firewall running 24/7 since OCT 2000.)

I tried to upgrade (make buildword make installworld to 4.11-stable).. I made the new world and installed the new kernel but not quite enough space to do the last steps (mergemaster and then installworld).

So I built a spare box, and installed FBSD on it.

I put the hard drive from the firewall as secondary master, and a larger drive as secondary slave.

* I ran dd and imaged the old drive onto the new drive

  old drive seagate 1.2gb
  new drive quantum 4.3gb

* I put the new drive into the old faithful P60 (firewall). It boots up fine running 4.11-p22 and is currently online as my firewall.

What is left to do:

Finish the 4.11 install which ended on make kernel KERNCONF=CUSTOMKERN.. I just need to mergemaster then installworld as single user.

Obviously, /usr partition (/dev/ad0s1f) is basically full w/ 8.6MB free.

** soo.. I did some fdisk magic and got stuck on the growfs (final step) in order to growfs /usr

fdisk reports my 1 partition @ full size of disk but no idea how to properly use growfs.

Here is what I have:
cylinders=8895 heads=15 sectors/track=63 (945blks/cyl)

media sector size 512

partition 1 sysid 165, start 63, size 8405712 (4104 Meg), flag 80 (active)
beg: cyl 0/head 1 / sector 1
end: cyl 1023 / head 14 / sector 63

basically I need help filling in the following blank (/dev/ad0s1f == /usr slice)

# growfs -s ______ /dev/ad0s1f

as shown above, fdisk sees the correct geometry as 4104MB partition but /stand/sysinstall disklabel editor sees ad0s1 as 2888MB, which is the amount of space I thought I was to be adding to /usr via growfs. Currently, my /usr slice is 975MB and really needs to grow. :)

Please let me know what other info I can provide that will help you help me solve this problem. I have read man growfs and some docs online, however, I'm stuck and dont know exactly how to resolve the problem.

Much thanks,

Kris