--On September 28, 2006 9:33:39 AM +0200 Erik Norgaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

1) rsync changes behaviour depending on whether or not you include a
trailing / from the man-page:

        rsync -av /src/foo /dest
        rsync -av /src/foo/ /dest/foo

That I know.

works the same way, (and sync locally in this example). Read the man
page, there are lots of examples.

2) The options -t and -p preserve time and permissions respectively.
Ownership will always change to the user running rsync unless you run as
root. This has nothing to do with rsync, you can't run chown as an
ordinary user.

You can preserve the group if you're in that group on the destination
host.

3) The files you are syncing - should they be writeable by www? For
security, you may really want something like this:

   -rw-r----- user:www    file

They're user:www, but the user isn't me.  :-)

I could go into the reasons for that, but it doesn't really matter.

and have user do the rsync. If you really need to have www write to the
file, set group permissions +w.

No, I don't need that and don't want it either. The owners of the site own the files, and I know how to use sudo. :-)

IIRC to run rsync over ssh the user doing the syncing must have shell
access, running your sync as root is not desirable, it MAY be preferred
to have it run as www to preserve owner also, at least you can restrict
access for www.

I use ssh with keys so I can cron the job, but I'll have to do the extra step of fixing perms and ownership after copying the rsynced files over. No big deal. I'll script that as well.

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/