On Oct 1, 2006, at 9:00 AM, Dino Vliet wrote:

What should I do now? Continue using it, without
portupgrading or compiling a new kernel or ask a new
pair of banks at the store?

I actually had a strikingly similar problem. I would freeze on portsnap updates. A -j8 buildworld would always get random segmentation faults. The handbook states the latter is a memory problem. The vendor insisted it was a FreeBSD problem but suggested I read the mobo manual (something I try to avoid). It turned out that when adding the additional memory, they had used consecutive slots rather than skip DIMM banks as the manual suggested (e.g., in my case using only 2 sticks required going to DIMM0 and DIMM2 leaving DIMM1 empty on each of the CPU bank slots, though your details will vary). If your problem was as mine was, it isn't a FreeBSD problem but a mobo set up, bad stick or possibly memory incompatibility issue.

I'd think continuing as is will just cause the problem to appear in other ways and if incompatibility or failed stick, you are losing your money. BTW, on AMD64, I used the port memtest to find a bad stick.