Could someone point me to instructions or offer suggestions on how to re-configure file systems on a 6.x system?

When I installed from CD, I used the sysinstall menu, which I guess actually calls bsdlabel and newfs (??)

I want to delete two filesystems, and recreate one large one in the same space. I tried dropping to single user and running sysinstall, but it protests it can't write to the device... even when I only had things mounted read-only. Can I safely use the boot CD to do this? I don't want to experiment too much and clobber the whole drive!

 -Thanks,  Wayne