WGET=/usr/local/bin/wget
DIFF=/usr/bin/diff
MAIL=/usr/bin/mail
CAT=/bin/cat
RM=/bin/rm
MAILFILE=/tmp/site_report
MY_URL=http://www.mydomain.com
MY_PAGE=index.html
MY_REF_PAGE=/usr/local/www/good/index.html

cd /tmp
$WGET $MY_URL/$MY_PAGE
$DIFF $MY_PAGE $MY_REF_PAGE
if [ "$?" -eq 1 ]
   echo "Site is down" > $MAILFILE
   echo " " >> $MAILFILE
   echo "Bad page retrieved:" >> $MAILFILE
   $CAT $MY_PAGE >> $MAILFILE
   echo " " >> $MAILFILE
   $MAIL -s "Website Problem Report" [EMAIL PROTECTED] < $MAILFILE
fi

This will verify the page is being served, and the content is correct.

        -Derek