Paul Lathrop wrote:
Chuck Swiger wrote:
Oh, yes, one more thought-- your specific application, i.e. a large database, is one where running in 64-bit mode is highly likely to result in improved performance compared with running the OS in 32-bit mode. If you've got a AMD64 or EM64T capable CPU, consider installing the 64-bit version of FreeBSD instead of the normal 32-bit x86 version.

---Chuck
Chuck,

I've heard this idea a few times in answer to my question. Is there a 64 bit Intel distro I'm missing? I saw someone suggesting I use the AMD64 version, but when I attempt to boot that from the install disk I get some debugging output and a message saying "BTX halted" - I suspect that means I can't follow that suggestion...

Thanks again for all your help!
I figured it out - this is an older Xeon processor apparently - 32 bit.

Sorry for the cluelessness - I'm a bit behind the times when it comes to hardware.

Regards,
Paul