On 10/7/06, Joe Marcus Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-10-07 at 13:40 -0400, Michael Johnson wrote:
> This isn't really a FreeBSD-specific question but does
> anyone know the range of Power Over Ethernet? I want
> something to go from my house to my garage apartment
> then hook a wireless access point in to the POE box. The
> garage and the house are on their own power circuit but
> where the lines split is in between the house and the garage.
> I'm thinking it'll be around 600ft plus all the wiring in the house
> and garage. I'm kinda hesitant to buy one and try it before
> I *think* it may work.

600 ft will be too much.  POE (802.3af) works over Cat 5 which limits
you to 328 feet or 100 meters.

What about a good wireless access point? I have 2 linksys wrt54g's in
the house now and one has the 7db gain antennas (which really doesn't
do much) on it. I'd want at least 700ft+ range and it be able to go
through multi-walls, trees, etc.  I know there's lots of access points
out there that could do this, but which one?

I've looked at outdoor antennas, wireless access point that also works
as a wireless bridge (can't find many of these) also.

There is too many different options to go with and I don't know which
one to go with.

Michael

Joe