On 10/09/06 12:00, free bsd wrote:
Thank you everyone for responding to my initial question. In hindsight I realize I worded my original inquiry inaccurately. What I am attempting to determine is how well or if ver 6.1 will work on a 4GB hard drive with a Pentium 4 - 3.06GHz cpu and 1GB ram? The machine has a 232GB hard drive but I have another 4GB drive sitting around being unused that I was thinking of adding to the machine to configure in a dual boot setup with the 4GB drive being totally allocated to FreeBSD.

Well, as everyone has stated... It depends on what you are doing with the machine.

I have a 512MB USB device running 5.3-RELEASE, Xorg, Fluxbox, nessus, nmap, firefox, and a few other tidbits (no ports tree). Its darn slow off USB, but it works. So yeah, 4GB is sufficient... for some amount of functionality.

If *I* wanted to use a machine, say for a desktop, I'd want no less than 20GB. I have a 20GB disk for a machine, yet I ran out of space while trying to set it up the way I wanted. I had most things setup, then tried to compile OO. I fell back to the package though.

Either way, everyones point is... It depends. But I think most would say to have a truly useful Desktop, 4GB is a bit slim. My vote... 20GB+

HTH.

However, before attempting that task I am trying to determine whether or not it would be even feasible to use a 4GB drive to install v 6.1 or should I use a larger drive to install the many of FreeBSD's features? And if a larger drive how large of a drive would I need to utilize many or any of its features without limiting myself to a bare bones setup? Additionally, if the 4GB drive will work how limited would the install/capabilities/features be? I am not at all opposed to using a larger drive but at the present time do not have a clue as to what size drive I should use for the most flexibility regarding type of installation options. -art